Monday 18 July 2011

Just Like That Only

I am standing at the exit of a double decker bus about to get off at Kurla bus sthanak. The rain is relentless and the road is full of water. There is another bus a few feet ahead of ours. I am craning my neck, trying to see the route number of the bus to decide if it’s the one I need and if I should run for it as soon as I get off this one. But I was unable to see its number.

A sixteen year old boy jumps aboard. He must have had a good view of the bus ahead. I am sure he noted that I was trying to see the bus no.

“Did you see the route number of the bus ahead?”
The boy shakes his head in a yes.
Starts looking out of the bus.
.
.
Maybe he hasn’t heard me.
“Did you see the route number of the bus ahead of us?”
     “Yes.”
Looking out intently.
.
.
May be I am not being clear.
“Do you know the number of the bus ahead of us?”
      “Arree! haan re bhai!”  [irritated  Why! Yes brother]
.
.
“Umm... so… will you tell me?”
.
.
The bus arrives at the bus stop. We get off the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment